Friday, October 8, 2010

Week 6 Reading Notes


YouTube:
Awesome explanation. I watched this first so the Wikipedia LAN article was a repeat for me. This video was a great overview of the types of networks that exist. 

Wikipedia: Local Area Network
Clearly describes how LAN works and how it was developed. The history of LAN was interesting, and I was surprised that it was developed so early; I assumed that it was a development of the 1980’s and 1990s. the rest of the article was pretty much an overview of the YouTube video, but it was helpful to read about LAN's as well.

Wikipedia: Computer Network
Computer networks began with ARPANET and were developed in the 1960s. I understand the descriptions of the wired technologies, wireless technologies, and connection methods. I really appreciated the description of the wireless technologies because this was a little confusing in the LAN article.
I found this picture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NETWORK-Library-LAN.png to be very helpful in helping me to understand how larger networks, such as library networks, actually work. I think this picture could be applicable to school networks and other similar system.
After reading the article, I think a review of network topology would be helpful. I also think a review of overlay networks would be good, because I really had a hard time understand how they work, even when I know how to use P2P file sharing.   

Management of RFID in libraries
RFID’s right now are not exactly the perfect fit for libraries. With budget cuts and all of the other economic conditions of the times it is not exactly prudent for libraries to invest in an expensive technology that may or may not work as well as advertised. There is also the issue of being able to make the RFID tag non-readable with essentially a metal gum wrapper; this could easily lead to theft of books.
As RFID’s are tested in a larger scale and they are able to be used on more media than just books, they may be a perfect fit for libraries. Until then the cost of having to maintain more than one checkout system makes the RFID system not such a good fit for libraries right now. I think it is important for libraries to pay attention to this technology and to wait for the proper technological advances in order to implement this in a timely and cost effective manner for their library.

3 comments:

  1. You make a good point about RFID currently having too limited applications for library use. It hadn’t occurred to me that libraries would need two checkout systems, but I guess there’d be no other choice if the RFID technology doesn’t work for all materials yet. Electronic media and children’s books are huge draws for patrons; it seems unlikely that technology complicating their circulation would be adopted by most libraries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said about RFID's. As with all new technologies libraries must concern themselves with good stewardship and manage financial cutbacks and technological advances and refitting. All the bugs must be worked out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that you addressed the security issues presented by RFID. I was wondering what sort of changes would result in the technology if it was intended for non retail use. It seems that there is so much room for it to simplify operations within the libraries, but you are right! The technology and the institutions are just not prepared yet. I wonder which side has more work to do to get there?

    ReplyDelete