Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Week 8 Reading Notes


W3schools HTML Tutorial

I loved this tutorial. I made learning HTML not only easy, but it was cool to see what something will look like when you add or change it almost instantly. I also like the quiz; it was nice to see how easy it is to pick up on HTML once you just start doing it.

HTML Cheatsheet 

A great free resource, it has all the basics for HTML up there, I don’t really have much more to say about  it though.

W3 School Cascading Style Sheet Tutorial

I found CSS to be more difficult than HTML. For me at least, HTML was very straight forward, whereas CSS took more time for me to be comfortable with it. I will say that I also found it to be more annoying to work on than HTML, just because it is more specific than HTML and you have to make more decisions regarding type face and size right from the start. 

Beyond HTML: Developing and re-imagining library web guides in a content management system. 

I find it a little shocking that the librarians and staff were given such control over the website, especially at an academic institution, and I won’t say that I am surprised that there was a huge security lapse either. Giving lots of people access to a websites administrative area is never a good idea, and I think it was a little ridiculous how much access they had to the website.  I completely believe in CMS and limited gatekeeping because of the problems that are created when people with little background in website design or management get access to entire websites. I also feel that CMS helps websites to not only be aesthetically pleasing but also to have a sense of continuity and it helps them to be more navigable because everything is consistent.

1 comment:

  1. Barbara,

    I completely agree with you about the situation in the "Beyond HTML" article. Who ever thought letting everyone on staff run rampant on the website would be a good thing? Of course there were going to be inconsistencies. Each person was probably like "I like this font" or "This color is awesome," but no two people would pick the same ones. Setting up measures to keep things consistent is very helpful because then patrons going from one page to the next won't get confused as easily. And also, it looks so much better.

    ReplyDelete